June 5, 2009

Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians - Fegmania!

Genre(s) - Psychedelic rock/folk, singer-songwriter
Origin - United Kingdom
Year of release - 1985
Bitrate - 320 kbps
Size - 94.52 MB

Previous Hitchcock post (here) was a compilation I made, combining some of my favourite songs. It was a measure out of necessity, not knowing what album to post. But it felt a bit like cheating so after long deliberation I chose this one for the upping. It's an and the Egyptians-release so it's relatively complex and rock-oriented, but as always balances the fine line between psychedelically goofy and really really beautiful. Robyn displays a gorgeously shimmering guitar sound here
, giving half the songs an introspective, even sad-ish slant, but keeps things spicy with some more upbeat and diverse material like The Fly, Goodnight I Say and Strawberry Mind. This edition is the 1995 remaster, with the added advantage of two live tracks that are wildly superior to their original versions, and the long ambient track Pit of Souls that ends with an almost post-rock like bang. But don't ask me what Fegmania is supposed to mean.
  1. Egyptian cream
  2. Another bubble
  3. I'm only you
  4. My wife and my dead wife
  5. Goodnight I say
  6. The man with the lightbulb head
  7. Insect mother
  8. Strawberry mind
  9. Glass
  10. The fly
  11. Heaven
  12. Bells of Rhymney
  13. Dwarfbeat
  14. Some body
  15. Egyptian cream (demo version)
  16. Heaven (live)
  17. Insect mother (smithsound demo)
  18. Egyptian cream (live)
  19. The pit of souls (parts I-IV)
Load it down

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunatley...only tracks 1-14 came up but thank you for those as they are excellent..love his sound with the egyptians...very much appreciated...thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete