December 7, 2008

Elffor - Unblessed Woods


Band/artist - Elffor
Genre(s) - Black metal
Origin - Bizkaia, Basque Country
Album - Unblessed Woods
Year of release - 2006

Please do not mind the rather cartoonesque album art, true beauty is found on the inside!
Elffor is a vehicle for Eöl, keyboardist of Basque-nationalist band Numen, and has always been very synth-minded. Summoning is clearly the greatest example to this project, and earlier albums sounded suspiciously like more tedious imitations of Minas Morgul. Unblessed Woods is the first album to partly let go of this formula, bringing a greater dose of aggression, more subtle atmospherics and an increased variety to the table. When the black metal is allowed free rein the music is at its best, and you can feel it taking over the space within your skull. This is beautifully demonstrated by the explosive tracks Through the Mist and ...From Ancient Scrypts. This is some epic symphonic black metal, and extra kudos for responsible use of a drum computer.
  1. Unblessed woods
  2. Through the mist
  3. Of heretic pagan kingdom
  4. Winter, fullmoon, sorrow
  5. Dark orchestral hate
  6. ...From ancient scrypts
  7. Gorgorium goth
  8. The forgotten dying moon
Load it down

1 comment:

  1. Hello Charles. To answer your question, yes, I'm a member of hipforums. I rarely post there any more, but I occasionally pop in to give my two cents on music related questions.

    Normally I would delete requests to be listed on the blogroll if they don't meet the requirements, but I thought I would be considerate enough to respond to you since you mentioned hipforums. Your blog has a lot of new releases, which doesn't meet up with the requirements. I would suggest trying to cut down on them, because eventually someone will report your blog. I personally don't have a problem that other people share new releases, but I don't want to get my own account reported, which is why I try to only feature blogs that aren't putting up albums from 2008. If you want to share an album by a new band, I would try to find a quality bootleg or other rare album so you run less of a risk of having your blog removed.

    While I haven't always strictly followed this advice myself, I've made a much better effort to do so recently. My blog has been going strong for over two years now, which is a long time in music blog years. I've been around to see plenty of legendary blogs removed, along with thousands of quality posts, all because of some asshole label owner who fails to understand that the music industry is behind the times.

    Is it safe to assume that Charles D Ward is a Lovecraft reference? If so, you might be interested in my main music blog @ http://digitalmeltd0wn.blogspot.com I posted a ton of Lovecraft material there that you might be interested in.

    I think you have a nice blog, but I hope that you understand my position. Take care.

    Zer0_II

    ReplyDelete