November 19, 2008

Dar Williams - The Beauty of the Rain


Band/artist - Dar Williams
Genre(s) - Folk, singer-songwriter
Origin - United States of America
Album - The Beauty of the Rain
Year of release - 2003

This lil' album got to me really quickly the last two, three days. I've had it for a long time but it had always escaped my attention, funny how these things happen. Dar Williams is a folk chick and apparently The Beauty of the Rain is her first album to incorporate broader musical ideas than straightforward folk. Now I haven't heard any other material than this yet so we'll just have to take that for granted. What we shouldn't take for granted are her gorgeous songs. Especially the track Your Fire Your Soul has had considerable impact on me; bittersweet as it is I still can't figure out if I find it more depressing or uplifting, but at least it no longer makes me cry. Other songs are less ambiguous: opener Mercy of the Fallen and the title track are distinctly melancholic whereas I Saw a Bird Fly Away makes me quietly happy inside. This is one of those albums that would still be good if it was twice as long.
  1. Mercy of the fallen
  2. Farewell to the old me
  3. I saw a bird fly away
  4. The beauty of the rain
  5. The world's not falling apart
  6. The one who knows
  7. Closer to me
  8. Fishing in the morning
  9. Whispering pines
  10. Your fire your soul
  11. I have lost my dreams
Load it down

No comments:

Post a Comment