June 18, 2008

Ani DiFranco - Live and Outta Control


Band/artist - Ani DiFranco
Genre(s) - Folk
Origin - United States of America
Album - Live and Outta Control (bootleg)
Year of release - never actually released

Modern-day folk with an attitude, an unmistakable style and a unique voice singing poetic but razor-sharp lyrics. That's Ani DiFranco, armed with her guitar and somewhat jazzy backing band in an aesthetic, charming offensive against all chauvinism and conformity. The term "bootleg" is maybe a bit misleading here because Live and Outta Control is an unreleased collection of loose live tracks which I took the liberty to divide over two "discs" to ease sharing and downloading. The overall quality is masterful, and with a full band and Ani's acrobatic voice there is a lot more going on musically than in most other folk artists' music. I will leave you with a quote from My IQ:

When I was four years old they tried to test my IQ
They showed me this picture of four oranges and a pear
They asked me "which one is different and does not belong?"
They taught me "different"... is "wrong"

Pretty awesome.
  1. Firedoor
  2. Shameless
  3. Asking too much
  4. Anticipate
  5. Garden of simple
  6. Blood in the boardroom
  7. Gravel
  8. Letter to a John
  9. Slide
  10. Angry anymore
  11. As is
  12. What if no one's watching
  13. Evolve
  14. Hat shaped hat
  15. Not a pretty girl
  16. Tis of thee
  17. Pick yer nose
  18. Icarus
  19. My IQ
Download disc 1
Download disc 2

No comments:

Post a Comment