September 23, 2008

The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God


Band/artist - The Pogues
Genre(s) - Celtic folk
Origin - United Kingdom
Album - If I Should Fall from Grace with God
Year of release - 1988

The Pogues are a British band who had a huge influence on the development of the celtic punk scene due to their high-energy approach to Irish folk. Can't say I've ever listened to this or any whole Pogues' album in one go, always just pick my favourite tracks. So it's time for me to get a bit more in-depth with them as well. But the first 8 tracks on here are wonderful, that I do know, from the fast Bottle of Smoke to the cheerful Fiesta and the sensitive, beautiful Thousands are Sailing. But the track that steals the crown here is the first medley, a frantic hyperjig that drags you along like like a chariot. In moments like this it indeed sounds like acoustic, folked-up punk. You also gotta love Shane MacGowan's meticulous articulation, not to mention his well-groomed appearance. Truly one of my heroes.
  1. If I should fall from grace with God
  2. Turkish song of the damned
  3. Bottle of smoke
  4. Fairytale of New York
  5. Metropolis
  6. Thousands are sailing
  7. Fiesta
  8. Medley: Recruiting sergeant/Rocky road to Dublin/Galway races
  9. Medley: Streets of sorrow/Birmingham six
  10. Lullabye of London
  11. Sit down by the fire
  12. The broad majestic Shannon
  13. Worms
  14. Medley: the battle march
  15. The Irish rover
  16. Mountain dew
  17. Shanne Bradley
  18. Sketches of Spain
  19. South Australia
Load it down

1 comment: