August 30, 2008

Elvenking - Heathenreel


Band/artist - Elvenking
Genre(s) - Power metal
Origin - Italy
Album - Heathenreel
Year of release - 2001

The most good-natured style of metal has always been power metal, but most bands try to disguise their fun factor as epicness or heroism. Elvenking is not one of those bands, singing about dancing more than about fighting, and playing sprightly music that at times only reminds of metal because of the pace and instrumentation. Especially the vocals are exuberant and truly Elflike - i.e. a bit androgynous, but this fits just right, and this mr. Damnagoras is a very good singer. Heathenreel breathes a fresh, invigorating wind through a tired genre ridden with clichés by the inclusion of minor folk (metal) influences, lending the album a festive, foresty sound of its own. Simply said, the music sounds like everything the band name, album title and artwork remind you of. In large doses it can all get a bit tiring on the ears due to the insistent gaiety and the many twists and turns that the compositions take. But this is mitigated somewhat by enough variety and some great melodies. It has happened, however, that I could not get to sleep because I still had passages of this album stuck in my head.
  1. To oak woods bestowed
  2. Pagan purity
  3. The dweller of Rhyms
  4. The regality dance
  5. White willow
  6. Skywards
  7. Oakenshield
  8. Hobs an' feathers
  9. Conjuring of the 14th
  10. A dreadful strain
  11. Seasonspeech
Look, the moon is dancing too!

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog a few weeks ago. You have an excellent selection of music.
    I especially enjoy the blackened avant metal-ish posts.
    Elvenking took me by surprise. Very enjoyable and fun. I picked up their Wyrd release this afternoon at a local record store.
    Thanks for blogging. I look forward to your future posts.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim, thanks for your encouraging words. I'm always glad to hear people like what I'm doing. Stick around, I'd say, more music is underway at all times!

    ReplyDelete